Saturday, July 16, 2011

Review of MTV's True Life: I'm a Sugar Baby

I watched the show on my laptop by the pool and it was pretty entertaining. These quotes tell you everything you need to know about each SB character:

“I’m so money hungry, but I’m so lazy” – Olivia
“I need a sugar mama ASAP” – Steve
“I need a SD to pay for my lifestyle” – GG

What else do these 20 something SB’s have in common? They all live in high rent districts and can’t afford their lifestyle on their own. Some have pointed out the show doesn’t resemble how a sugar relationship should work as we understand it on the SA Blog. But in reality it’s a fairly accurate portrayal of what actually happens in the sugar world. Here are some observations and comments about the characters.

- GG and Olivia both met their pot SD’s for the first time at his house. Really?
- Steve came across as an immature doofus. I have no idea what any of the cougars see in him.
- Sean (Olivia’s ex bf) came across as a douche bag for pimping her out to get what he wants.
- Olivia’s SD appeared possessive and drama prone for wanting her tattoo removed.

GG has the typical gold digger mentality, it’s all about how much more she can get while giving as little in return as possible. There is nothing wrong with a platonic sugar relationship as long as that’s what both sides want. But she deliberately stringed him along just to see what she can get. I may not have agreed with some of her SD’s approach to get laid. But to his credit he cut his losses after paying for her $500 dress. A less experienced SD or a white knight probably would have put up with her longer and throw more money at her just to end up with the same result.

As for Olivia, her looks resemble one of my former SB’s, except my SB was a bit slimmer and bustier. She has typical emotional baggage and unsure of what she really wants, thus her emotional struggle with her ex bf and her SD. But in the end she finally learned that “this lifestyle is not for me right now”.
 
At the end GG learned from her record producer that “everything comes with a price” and she finally realized “if I quit being a SB, I’m going to have to learn how to be financially independent, it’s not going to be easy.” Amen and welcome to the real world!

As for Steve, it was ironic that he had to pay for the dinner with his would be mama who lost her job.

None of the SB characters are SB material, so it’s no surprise GG and Olivia end up leaving the sugar lifestyle, and Steve was still trying but had no luck. But what bothered me the most was GG’s mom expecting her daughter to continue with sugar just to support her lifestyle. What kind of parent is that??

After the show MTV followed up with the three characters in this article. Also, look at the comments under the episode, it’s pretty interesting.

Lastly, a TV show about the sugar lifestyle and no one had sex?? Say it ain’t so!! :mrgreen:

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted your reviewish thoughts on this show. It was pretty depressing and gross, I found myself gagging on the "sugar babies" the entire time... and on the sugar daddies. It really bothered me how no one clearly communicated what they wanted or expected. All the pimping out by third parties was so horrific - a sb should be doing this because SHE wants to, for her own reasons! And I was really disappointed in how MTV turned these pathetic examples into a moral story with their follow-up comments at the end.
    Need I say, I am VERY picky, and would not have gone on any of those dates?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Jane - I agree with your comments, and the unfortunate thing is that what the show portrayed is fairly typical in the sugar world. So you've got to be picky and stick to your principles to find what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete