Friday, July 30, 2010

A Valentine's Fantasy - Her Version, Part 1

I'll pause here to tell a little story before I resume the "Evolution of a SD" series.  Here's what happened from her perspective.  Please note the usual disclaimers apply.

-------------------------

Hi lovelies! I'm back from my Valentine's Day adventure and ready to report the good, the bad and the snuggly. ;D

I thought it might be a good case study in what to do and what not to do on a first out-of-town meeting and I also just love to share my adventures with the Babes. Feel free to pick apart my decisions, if you like, for our collective education.  Or feel free to skip this posting, since no one likes to read such long, detailed tales of adventure, danger and passion. ;D

I met my date online and his e-mails and such revealed a nice, decent, trustworthy and very attractive man. Our phone calls seemed to confirm this. I told him about my two less-than-ideal Valentine's dates from the weekend before and he offered to indulge my Valentine's fantasy if I would come to his city to meet him. I really wanted to salvage my Valentine's Day experience and needed an adventure badly, so I said let's talk about it and told him my fantasy: a spa extravaganza (facial, pedicure, massage, etc.); shopping for a pretty Valentine's Day outfit and dinner at a nice restaurant.

He leapt into action to make the arrangements.

I was both excited and nervous. This would be my first experience flying out of town to meet a man I didn't know. At one point, just for a minute, I said to myself, "What are you doing? This is unsafe. Cancel this trip and just pamper yourself for Valentine's Day." But between our good communication, his reassurance and my rational approach, I relaxed and trusted my decision. He had taken the initiative to call me and make sure we were both very clear what the situation was and what we each expected. He was open about his own trust needs and wanted to know and respect mine.

I followed (most of) my own safety rules (I'll explain later where I failed): I verified that my ticket was roundtrip, I verified his identity by calling the hotel and making sure he paid by credit card under his name, I told my housemate where I was going, who I was going with, when I would return, my flight and hotel info, etc. I had prepared for things to go wrong: packed cash and credit cards, packed an extra outfit in case we didn't go shopping, contacted a friend in his city saying I'd be there overnight and might be able to connect.

I had become very familiar with the way my date's mind worked and felt secure in my understanding of that. And once all these precautions were taken care of, I let go and fully expected to have a good time with an interesting person, whether we hit it off romantically or not.

Coming up - What happend on Valentine's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment